Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2011

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Reason Read: Curiosity, Faculty Book Club, Looked like an easy read
Method Read: Nook
Genre: Humor, Non fiction

I remember Saturday evenings in the 1980's when the kids were little and Kevin and I would listen to Garrison Keillor on the radio do "A Prairie Home Companion". Kevin proudly purchased Lake Wobegon Days for me knowing how much I enjoyed APHC. I eagerly began to read it, but didn't get very far -- I couldn't hear his voice -- that wonderful mellow baritone that drew us in every Saturday night was not there.  It just didn't translate, and that was my fear when I first saw the book Bossypants.

I really like Tina Fey (LOVE Amy Poehler and Kristin Wiig) and recognize that as a woman in comedy she has revolutionized the way we see comedians in the 21st century -- but would I like her book?

Her book was a joy and pure unadulterated fun to read. Her voice translates perfectly into the written word, probably because she has been a writer far longer than an actress.

I found that I began to like her better as a result of reading her book (except for the fact she did her undergrad at UVA). If Saturday Night Live and 30 Rock are a staple in your household as it is in mine (Kevin and Elyse are currently working their way through all 80 episodes of 30 Rock on Netflix) you will enjoy this book as much as I did.

Kudos Tina Fey!! I loved Bossypants.

Grade: A+

1 comment:

  1. I hope I have sorted out the problem with posting comments. Give it a try now.

    ReplyDelete